Sunday, December 21, 2014

Follow us:
Follow Us On Facebook! Follow Us On Twitter! RSS 



Parents furious after school bus crash

  • Text size: + -
Buffalo: Parents furious after school bus crash
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A Buffalo school bus was hit by a car Monday morning, but the children's parents say they never got a call from the school or the district, even after one of them had to be taken to the hospital. YNN's Natalia Martinez spoke to some of the parents who are furious.

BUFFALO, N.Y. — A bus was just yards away from reaching Futures Academy when police say it was rear ended Monday morning.

"Here our children are in an accident at the school, in front of the school, you have administrators inside of the school. Why was nobody notified that these kids were in an accident?" Lynette Hare, one of the parents of the children on the bus, told YNN.

"I'm upset. I am totally mad, I don't know what to do," another parent, Loret Van Dyke said.

The Buffalo School District says none of the children complained of any pain and were taken to school.

But then Van Dyke's 10-year-old son was loaded into an ambulance and taken to the hospital after he said his back hurt.

"What is any parent gonna think when they want to know where their kid is," the child's father, Patrick Shea said.

But Lynette Hare said she learned of the accident from her son and not school officials after he asked to call his mom. She then let Van Dyke know of the crash.

"This was two hours later," Van Dyke explained. "The school never contacted me anything to let me know that my son was in an accident and that they took him by ambulance to the hospital."

The children were handed a card informing parents of the crash. The School District's Director for Transportation, Al Diamico, said it is their procedure to alert parents if their child is hurt.

"The Transportation Department once they found out the student was being transported tried to call some of the phone numbers we had on file," Diamico explained.

"They had my phone number, they had my wife's phone number, there's no reason no one was contacted," Shea told us.

Diamico said the incident is still being looked into and wouldn't confirm whether Van Dyke's son was asked for his phone number, something his mother says he knows by heart.

A total of three students ended up going to the hospital to get checked out.

Transportation officials also said that things like cell phones make it easy for parents to find out about incidents before school officials even get a chance to contact them. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP