Saturday, December 27, 2014

Follow us:
Follow Us On Facebook! Follow Us On Twitter! RSS 



Elderly couple rescued from high water released from hospital

  • Text size: + -
Buffalo: Elderly couple rescued after being trapped in submerged car
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Two people treated for hypothermia Wednesday night when their car got stuck on a flooded road in the Chautauqua County town of Stockton have been released from the hospital.

According to Sheriff’s deputies, a couple in their 80s went around signs warning of flooding on South Stockton-Cassadaga Road. They ended up stuck in at least three feet of water from heavy rain and snow melt.

The Stockton Volunteer Fire Department waded through a fast moving current to rescue them.

Deputies ticketed John Vanscoter for going around the warning signs. Vanscoter is the owner of the Cockaigne Ski resort in Cherry Creek.

Two people had to be rescued from high waters in Chautauqua County Wednesday. YNN's Katie Cummings has more on the operation and why law enforcement is urging drivers to use caution.

STOCKTON, N.Y. — Heavy rain and snow melt caused at least three feet of water to accumulate on South Stockton-Cassadaga Road on Wednesday.

Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Deputies say a couple in their 80s were traveling down the road around 4 in the afternoon and bypassed signs.

"The motorist here decided to ignore the barricades, drove around them, and drove into the water. They didn’t anticipate how deep it was actually going to be, got in further than they realized," said Sgt. John Desnerck of the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office.

The Stockton Volunteer Fire Department had to navigate a fast moving current to get the two people out of the water.

"One was standing on the side, holding the car up and the other was sitting down in the vehicle. We had our rescue team here with the ropes and dive suits on. Let the ropes out there and they hooked them up and we got them out of there," said Stockton Volunteer Fire Department Second Assistant Chief Dale Kinney.

Investigators say the driver, John Vanscoter, was issued a ticket for going around the posted signs.

Desnerck says the fast moving water could have created a far different scenario.

Desnerck adds, "The car and themselves got swept downstream. It’s pretty swift currents. The waters actually pretty deep here. It’s up to the top of the doors on the car. Could have easily got swept downstream somewhere and possibly drowned."

The couple was taken to Brooks Memorial Hospital to be treated for hypothermia since they were in the water for at least 20 minutes. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP